The Junior League of Columbia was recently honored and recognized by City of Columbia Mayor Daniel Rickenmann at September’s city council meeting where we received a City of Columbia proclamation announcing the Junior League of Columbia 100 Acts of Service Week coming up October 2-12, 2023.
During our 100 Acts of Service Week on October 2-12, 2023, our members will engage with community partners across the Midlands to conduct 100 acts of service with a variety of meaningful projects that fulfill our vision. These community partners include:
- Richland County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), which the JLC helped to found: At CASA, inside the Richland County Courthouse, trained volunteers walk alongside young people as their families go through custody court cases. JLC members will revitalize an outdoor living space for children, teens, guardians, attorneys and staff to meet, relax, and gather at tables and patio furniture with plants and outdoor games.
- Camp Cole: Located in rural Southeast Richland County, Camp Cole serves children with illnesses, disabilities, and life challenges. At Camp Cole, JLC members will spruce up and repair an existing butterfly garden. This will include new wood and pine straw, additional plants and flowers and a butterfly bath. A JLC plaque will be placed at the butterfly garden.
- Prisma Health Children’s Hospital Life Services, with which the JLC has a long history of supporting: Child Life Services provides toys, games, and safety equipment for children receiving treatment at Prisma. JLC members will collect donations for requested items during their October membership meetings. JLC members will then organize and deliver all donations to Prisma.
- Healthy Learners, a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System: Healthy Learners provides free dental, vision and hearing care to students in the Midlands. During dental and vision clinic days, JLC members will attend training and ride along to pick up student clients. At the clinic, JLC members will assist in screenings and data entry.
- SisterCare, which the JLC helped to establish: SisterCare helps people identify and leave domestic violence situations. Housing and counseling to women and children of domestic violence is also provided. At SisterCare, JLC members will paint and prepare furniture in a new counseling room in Richland County. Both art and yoga therapy spaces will be arranged in Lexington County.